Close
Search
Searching...
No results
    Backstage
    Sustainable investment: new central power plant for Neutraubling
    You need to accept cookies to use this functionality.
    08. December 2021
    3:15 min.

    For over ten years now, Krones has been implementing a tailor-made energy concept in collaboration with the Regensburg-based utilities company REWAG (Regensburger Energie- und Wasserversorgung AG & Co. KG). It supplies not only the company but also public buildings and new housing developments with regionally generated heat that is largely carbon neutral. And now, the partners are expanding the concept by adding a new central power plant.

    From energy and media-efficient machines and lines to sustainable packaging options and solutions for recycling plastics all the way through to sustainability consulting – Krones offers its customers, beverage and food companies around the world, a multitude of ways to minimize their environmental footprint. 

    And now we’re taking it a step further, scrutinizing our own operational and value-creation processes so as to systematically implement our sustainability goals within the company. We’re serious about our responsibility. And that fact is reflected in the climate-protection targets we have set for ourselves. Since 2010, we have reduced energy-related CO2 emissions by 30 to 40 percent per €1 million in revenue. And our aim now is to reduce all greenhouse gas emissions generated at our own facilities – for example, by the operation of our production lines – by 80 percent by 2030.

    Article 26521
    Krones installed its first combined heat and power plant on its premises in Neutraubling, Germany, back in 1992.

    Today, we draw power from three combined heat and power (CHP) plants. As the name suggests, the systems concurrently produce electricity and useful thermal energy, capturing and utilizing excess heat generated during the production of electric power. As a result, the fuels involved are used far more efficiently than they would be for separate generation of heat and power. That also makes for comparatively lower emissions of climate-harming CO2. CHP plants generally use an engine or turbine that drives a generator, which in turn produces electricity. The waste heat is then used for, well, heating. 

    The CHP plants at the Neutraubling site are rated for total electrical power generation of 1,803 kilowatts and a total thermal output of 2,115 kilowatts. Around 88 percent of the heat generated is used in-house. The remaining 12 percent feeds into the district heating grid.

    Energy concept saves around 400 metric tons of carbon annually

    One project aimed at continuing the downward trajectory of our carbon emissions is currently in the final phase: In collaboration with the Regensburg-based utility company REWAG, we are building a new central power plant on our Neutraubling premises.

    An important, very efficient part of this is a hybrid air-cooled chiller. It is capable of utilizing cooling energy from the ambient air across large parts of the year. When thermal loads and outside temperatures are high, the plate-fin heat exchangers are sprayed with water on the air side. The cooling energy is then largely gained from the evaporation of the water. The benefits of this system include a low cooling water temperature, a small physical footprint, low maintenance requirements, and quiet operation.

    Article 26517
    Krones CEO Christoph Klenk (right) takes a look at the new central power plant with REWAG Chairman Dr. Torsten Briegel.

    In the future, the central power plant will be connected to the existing CHP plants and thus supply heat and power to our training center and the hall for control cabinet construction. Any energy produced above and beyond our needs will be fed into the Neutraubling district heating grid and will then supply public buildings and private homes in new housing developments.

    Thus, the new central power plant and increased output from the existing CHP plants will cut Krones’ annual carbon emissions by around 400 metric tons going forward.

    08. December 2021
    3:15 min.

    You can configure your non-binding quotation in our Krones.shop.

    Configure quotation
    kronesEN
    kronesEN
    0
    10
    1