Expanding the syrup room
One part of the order involved upsizing the syrup room, which Krones Izumi Processing of Singapore fulfilled with the following components:
- New batch mixing station with a downstream Contiflow mixer for producing finished beverages. The new system includes three 30,000-liter tanks for blending energy drinks.
- Sugar dissolving station: The existing continuous sugar dissolver was retrofitted with a big-bag-handling station to enable increased capacity.
- CIP system: The existing CIP system was upsized so as to be able to clean the newly added circuits.
- Automation: The system was fully automated – by way of valves with Evoguard control heads and valve manifolds as well as the Botec F1 process control system.
- Increased product flexibility: Krones Izumi configured the new system to allow for maximized flexibility. To that end, the concept includes a Contiflow mixer, a VarioFlash pasteurizer, and a Modulfill VFS-C can filler, all of which were supplied by Krones as part of the new canning line. That allows Khmer Beverages to produce CSDs and energy drinks with different properties in a variety of process combinations. For example, the flash pasteurization system is bypassed during production of CSDs but used for energy drinks. The CIP combinations are similarly diverse. And they are all made possible by a customized valve control matrix that is programmed to allow for the subsequent addition of new products.
- As another unique feature of this project, the scope of the order was optimized to allow us to find a perfect solution for the new syrup room. There were five filling lines in operation at the plant, and the company wanted to use the added capacity to run a number of new ingredients in the new syrup room. But instead of upgrading all five lines, Krones Izumi augmented just one of them to deliver all five ingredients to the new mixing area. That reduced the complexity of the installation overall and made it possible to optimize processes.
"The syrup room that Krones delivered is outstanding," explains Peter Leang, President of Khmer Beverages. "In our experience, one of the main advantages of the Krones syrup-room solutions is the precision with which the syrups are mixed. The recipe is very specific, and we are able to achieve the desired result. Another advantage is that the solution from Krones Izumi carries a low risk of production losses. High losses would negatively impact our entire productivity management. In addition, the Krones machines are energy efficient. Overall, we're able to save a lot of energy and minimize waste in our manufacturing process."